Don’t buy prepackaged shredded cabbage! It is 10 times the cost of a plain head of cabbage and doesn’t contain the nutrients that a whole head cabbage has. You can check out this article about Commercializing Cabbage and the craziness of packaged vegetables for some interesting price comparisons of buying whole real vegetables as opposed to packaged salads and other pre-cut and pre-shredded vegetables.
Here is also a recipe I posted several weeks back on how to make healthy pro-biotic sauerkraut.
Recipe: Beth’s Easy Coleslaw
Summary: Super easy and yummy mayonnaise coleslaw! My kiddo’s love this slaw. It’s a great side dish with supper and also goes well with barbecue sandwiches!
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 or 2 carrots, shredded
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (I love Braggs)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- Mix mayonnaise, vinegar, oil, honey, celery seed and salt.
- Stir in shredded cabbage and shredded carrots and mix well.
- Set aside in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- You can make coleslaw several hours in advance of your meal or even the day before.
You can add shredded apple.
Prep time: 10 min