Here is a basic tortilla recipe that we use all the time! These tortillas are super easy to make too! It is so easy to mix up that your children should be able to mix this up with a little coaching. This tortilla recipe contains a few key ingredients that every pantry should have on hand at all times. Homemade tortillas are much healthier than store bought tortillas. These homemade tortillas contain 5 simple readable ingredients as opposed to the long list of unpronounceable ingredients in the store bought tortillas. They are very tasty too! My children love fresh, hot tortillas with a dab of butter and honey for dessert!
You can also refrigerate or freeze homemade tortillas.
Recipe: Basic Tortilla Recipe
Summary: This is a super easy tortilla recipe that makes wholesome tortillas with simple ingredients.
3 cups of flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
4 to 6 Tablespoons of oil
1 1/4 cup of warm water
- Mix together in a bowl with a spoon.
- When it sticks together enough to become workable, knead it with your hands a few times until you have a soft workable dough ball.
- Let the dough ball rest for 10 minutes.
- Separate into 10 to 12 dough balls.
- Press and cook in your tortilla press. If you do not have a tortilla press, you can roll them out like tortillas and cook them in a skillet…a few seconds on each side.
I use 1/2 ground wheat flour and 1/2 white flour.
I use olive oil usually, but you can use lard or butter.
Makes 12 good size tortillas (note: the picture above shows smaller dough balls for smaller tortillas)
I always make 3 dough batches (36 tortillas) when ever I make this recipe. However when doubling or tripling, just make separate batches. This will allow your first dough batch to set for 10 minutes while you make your 2nd dough batch…then while making your 3 rd dough batch, your 2nd dough batch can set. By the time you get finished making your 3rd dough batch, you can start pressing and cooking your first dough batch.