It’s very difficult for me to do any kind of bulk freezer cooking these days! Many times I have to quadruple recipes just to feed us for one meal. When I had 3 small children, I loved cooking freezer supper meals for a month using the book Once a Month Cooking by Mimi Wilson and Mary Beth Lagerborg. I would often spend 5 to 7 hours cooking and have a month’s worth of meals in the freezer! I still use that book, however, I double, triple and quadruple and it doesn’t last as long now;-)
I do like to do modified large family bulk freezer cooking. After I get over a really bad case of all day morning sickness, I am anxious to spend some time bulk freezer cooking for my family!
Today, I made one of our favorite Once a Month Cooking recipes. In this recipe, I can quadruple it and get 2 meals out of it. However, instead of freezing any of it, we just ate it 😉
Recipe: Mexican Stroganoff
Summary: A very yummy stroganoffthat is a family favorite! The original recipe version used vegetable oil, which I substituted olive oil for. It also calls for chili sauce, but I couldn’t find any chili sauce without a lot of additives and preservatives, so I substituted my homemade tomato / ketchup sauce which works great. I also leave out the soy sauce and it still tastes good!
- 2 pounds of round steak
- 1 cup of finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup of red wine
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of chili sauce ( I use the ketchup sauce I make for meatloaf)
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon of soy or worcestershire sauce
- 8 oz of mushrooms (if you use canned, drain first)
- 1 – 8 oz of sour cream or plain yogurt *
- 3 Tablespoons of flour *
- 1 – 12 oz wide egg noodles
- Cut the steak into bite size pieces.
- Add onion, garlic and steak into a large saucepan with the olive oil and cook on medium heat until meat is brown. (10 to 15 minutes)
- Drain the oil off.
- Stir in the wine, water, chili sauce, paprika, chili powder, salt, soy/worcestershire sauce and mushrooms.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Cover and simmer 1 hour until the meat is tender.
- If you are going to freeze, let it cool and then put it in a freezer container to freeze. Make the egg noodles and mix the sour cream or yogurt and flour mixture only when you eat this meal.
- Cook the egg noodles according to package directions.
- To prepare, thaw meat mixture and heat in a saucepan until bubbly.
- Mix sour cream or yogurt with the flour, then stir it into the hot meat mixture.
- Heat to a boil, decrease the heat to a simmer, stirring consistently for 1 minute.
- Pour stroganoff meat mixture sauce over noodles and serve!
Serves about 6